Slough: let’s recycle more this Christmas
Much festive waste can be recycled using the red recycling bins – that includes Christmas cards, cardboard packaging, boxes and wrapping paper, glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles, food and drink cans.
Nick Hannon, waste and environment manager, said:
“We’d like to thank everyone who participated in recycling in 2012. We’d also like to remind residents that recycling is quick, easy and the right thing to do; it’s about making a simple choice and recycling the right items using your red bin. We encourage everyone to do their bit for a greener Christmas.”
Twelve recycling tips for the twelve days of Christmas:
- Keep a separate bin for your recycling – place it next to your main bin so you can take out the rubbish and the recycling at the same time
- Get your kids involved in the household recycling routine – it’s a great educational activity
- When shopping for Christmas presents use reusable shopping bags
- Don’t over-wrap Christmas presents – use a stocking for smaller gifts instead
- If you have access to the internet, why not send an electronic Christmas card?
- Reuse old Christmas cards and make tags for presents next year
- Buy Christmas trees with roots so they can be planted in the garden in Spring, or buy an artificial tree that can be used year after year
- Getting rid of an artificial tree? If it is still in reusable condition, try advertising it on an exchange website, or take it to Chalvey Household Waste Recycling Centre along with your old lights and decorations
- Buy rechargeable instead of disposable batteries
- Remember to compost all the fruit and vegetable peelings from your Christmas dinner – discounted composters are available to Slough residents from www.slough.getcomposting.com
- Support the Woodland Trust as part of its annual Christmas Card Recycling Scheme by taking old Christmas cards to WH Smith or Tesco stores in January – the cards will be recycled and proceeds will go to the trust
- Recycle your real Christmas tree – the council is offering a free collection service between 7 and 18 January. Call 0800 634 6301 on a weekday at least two days before your bin collection day to arrange*. Make sure all decorations, tree stands, soil, pots and netting have been removed and place it next to your bins by 7am on collection day. Alternatively, take it to Chalvey Waste Recycling Centre.
*Due to bank holidays, collections will be one or two days later than usual between Tuesday 25 December and Saturday 12 January, so residents are asked to check the revised collection days to make sure they know when their bins will be collected. The information can be found on the Slough Borough Council website.
If you have any queries about your collections please contact Slough Enterprise on 0800 634 6301.